Saturday, September 25, 2004

False "Doctrine" Again!?

It keeps happening! I've read, studied, and taught the BOM for years. While preparing this week's SS lesson I discovered that what I was taught and assume was right is wrong!

I was always taught the right after Christ was crucified and resurrected in the old world he appeared to the people in the new world.

3 Ne. 8:5 tells us that the signs of Christ's death happened in the 34th year, first month on the 4th day of the month. Then in chapter 10 vs 18 it says that "in the ending of the thirty and fourth year" he did truly manifest himself to them.

WOW almost a year later than I had previously been taught or knew.

I don't have a problem with the descrepentcy (other than I wish someone would have pointed it out before...or I would have better studied before so I would have noticed). I can think of a couple of reasons why it makes sense.

One, maybe He was too busy (tongue in cheek). Two, it gave the people time to repent. Three, it gave the people time to gather at the Temple from all over the land.

I just love the BOM, no matter how much or how often I study it, there are always new insights to be gained.