Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Absolute Truths...There are only 7!

In the church we often talk about light and truth and how to obtain it. During this time we occasionally attempt to differentiate the truths of God from the philosophies of men. The intent here is to distinguish truth from truth. Specifically, which truths are "absolute" and which ones are "relevant?"


A whole discussion could be made on how those two terms should be defined. However, for our purposes here we will define "relevant truth" as found in Doctrine and Covenants 93:30 where it states, "All truth is independent in that sphere in which God has placed it, to act for itself, as all intelligence also; otherwise there is no existence." So, relevant truths are in specific places and/or specific times. I am bound by the truth that I will be breaking the honor code if I grow a beard while attending BYU-Idaho, but after I leave it no longer applies. I'm subject to all the laws of physics and thermodynamics while dwelling on this earth but they may not apply where God dwells. "Absolute truth" can defined as everything outside of that. Anything that has been and always will be at all times and in all places.

So, how many "absolute" truths are there? We recently discussed this in my Western Religions class in relation to Platonic and Aristotelian philosophy. The only thing we could come up with is that "God lives." I honestly don't know if there are more or less then 7. (That was just meant to grab your attention:) Are there any more then that? Maybe there are a whole lot more. I'm not sure.

Maybe I need to redefine my terms!