Monday, January 03, 2005

Logical Consequences?

One of the many wonderful things that my mother instilled in my brain at a young age is that we often must do the right thing, even when we don't feel like it. I've often interpreted that to mean, "...even when we don't see any harm in not doing so."

I am sometimes very good at studying my scriptures every day, praying with my wife and alone, participating at church, preparing seminary lessons, treating others with kindness, etc. Sometimes I'm terrible at any or all of them. My problem is that my general happiness and the blessings in my life aren't based on those things. The days that I have a really good scripture study session may often be filled with a general unease about the rest of my life. A two-minute pass of the next day's seminary lesson may yield a fantastic discussion the next morning. Multiple days without giving thanks to my Heavenly Father for my blessings sometimes ends with even more blessings.

I don't know whether to be jealous or content when listening to testimonies of people who say, "Since I started reading my scriptures regularly this week my life is different... I'm now happier, more charitable, and better looking!" In no way do I dismiss or disbelieve those accounts, I'm just saying that's not the way it works for me. I think my testimony would be more along the lines of, "Since I've been studying my scriptures somewhat-regularly since high school, my life is generally happier, though I can't say there is a direct correlation between the two."