Thursday, June 02, 2005

Whining About Wine

A couple days ago my wife and I returned from Italy, where we were celebrating our 5th anniversary and my finishing grad school. Rome was cool, Florence was nice, but nothing came close to the countryside of Tuscany. We rented a car and took day trips to the little medieval towns that dot the landscape. The views were gorgeous. The houses and hillsides were straight from fairy tales. But the vineyards, it was the vineyards that took our breath away. We pulled the car over right as the sun was setting and hiked down through an olive grove into a vineyard and just sat there taking in the beauty that God has created. It was wonderful.

I've never in my life had a difficult time with the Word of Wisdom... until then. We were in the absolute heart of one of, if not the greatest wine-making region in the world. Wine is a way of life for these people. It's almost a religion. Wine is not just something to quench thirst, rather it interacts with the food that is served. Its taste depends on what was in the soil and air of that particular year and how it reacted to the barrels it was aged in. I am having a difficult time thinking of any other food that is more poetic and has been treated with as much reverence as wine. I have a feeling that God is saddened by the fact that He's had to prohibit us from enjoying it.

I told my wife that the minute the Word of Wisdom is repealed we'd buy tickets to go back and fully experience one of the most beautiful regions in the world. Anyone else wanna join us?